In school, 4th graders typically face new challenges and expectations. For example, 4th graders are expected to have made the shift from "learning to read" to "reading to learn." ~Mike Anderson (Educational Leadership: Vol. 68, issue 7)

Sunday, October 10, 2010

What did 0 say to 8?

"Nice belt..." That joke wasn't the only thing I learned at the Northwest Mathematics Conference in Spokane, Oct. 7-9th. There were so many great speakers and presenters and I learn a lot, but I'm not sure how I'm going to get all my new learning into the math class. How can you help? Ask your child to show you all the different arrays you have at home. For example, an egg carton is a 2x6 array. There are 2 rows with 6 eggs in each row. There are a total of 12 eggs because 2x6=12. I have a book shelf that is a 3x2 array because there are 3 shelves in 2 columns. Altogether there are 6 shelves because 3x2=6. You get the idea. :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment