In school, 4th graders typically face new challenges and expectations. For example, 4th graders are expected to have made the shift from "learning to read" to "reading to learn." ~Mike Anderson (Educational Leadership: Vol. 68, issue 7)

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Students make the best connections

As you know, I teach math to all the fourth graders. Well, during lunch today a student, representing several girls, asked me, "Mrs. Jagla, can someone be a quarter Mexican?"

"Yes." I responded as she looked at her group. Then I explained, "My dad is Mexican, but my mom is..."

"Americana." She interrupted.

"Right. So, that makes me 1/2 Mexican. My daughters and son's dad is Americano, so my children are each 1/4 (a quarter) Mexican."

Her response, "Mrs. Jagla, you just turned family into math and math into family."

I love it when students make real-life connections to math! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment