In school, 4th graders typically face new challenges and expectations. For example, 4th graders are expected to have made the shift from "learning to read" to "reading to learn." ~Mike Anderson (Educational Leadership: Vol. 68, issue 7)

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Knowing the Homework


Knowing what to do for homework always seems to be a problem for many students. Although students have a homework log, they carry to each class, it never seems like there is enough time for all students to fill in the log and be prepared to do the homework in the evening. To help students more, I have written a HOMEWORK SCHEDULE on my whiteboard. Whenever I assign homework in math or English grammar, I write the homework assignment on the whiteboard. The students should also be writing it on their homework log sheet. When I assign pages in the Number Corner math book, I always go over the pages i assign with the class and have them write the date on the pages to be completed. If I give math handouts for homework, I go over them and ask students to write their name on the paper before leaving class. I do keep a blue box labeled, "No names." If your student is missing a worksheet, but believes it was turned in, he or she should look in the box. Hopefully, together, we can make sure that every knows what is expected for math homework and can complete the work consistently.

No comments:

Post a Comment