In school, 4th graders typically face new challenges and expectations. For example, 4th graders are expected to have made the shift from "learning to read" to "reading to learn." ~Mike Anderson (Educational Leadership: Vol. 68, issue 7)

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Similes

How I love the sound of similes in books, student writing, and the hallways at school. That's right...similes are all over the place at Lewis and Clark.

Our students have been learning about similes and now they are writing their own. There are several great ones and I love them all, but I have to tell you about the one Cass wrote. He wrote, "Mrs. Alto, Mrs. Jagla, ^Mrs. Osborn, and Mrs. Woodly are like (three) four queens." The ^ is a symbol we use in editing to insert something new. Cass edited his simile to include Mrs. Osborn. Of course, this was after Mrs. Osborn brought it back to class to telling Cass it need revising. =) Many of you may not know that she was crown Miss Ballard (Seattle) a few years ago and has the tiara to prove it.

I have to say though, I have never seen a student write the next one. Luz wrote, "Mrs. Jagla rocks like Elves Presley." Nope, I've never seen that one before and I laughed a lot when I read it. My students definitely keep me happy.

Aren't our students great!

No comments:

Post a Comment